Thursday, January 26, 2006

R.I.P: Johnathan Kent

"Smallville" (2001)

Okay, turns out I was wrong about who was going to die on "Smallville"...twice. If you watched tonights episode, you will know that we had a "fake" death for Lana Lang, before the real death went to Johnathan Kent. This shouldn't surprise me too much. After all, Johnathan died in the comics and the first movie, so why should he live here? I honestly thought Chloe would die though, mainly because she's the only character who feels extendable in the show. If she died, no big deal right? Well, nice to see the producers of the show didn't take the easy way out by killing an extendable character, and instead killed a major character.

It would have been a bigger "holy crap" if Lana had died (and would have given Lex a bigger reason to turn all dark and evil), but overall we were in a no win situation here. We knew someone had to die. We've known since the beginning of the season. If you're going to put so much focus on someone dying all season, you might as well make the death significant. My main problem with Harry Potter books four and five were not that they were bad books, but that J.K. Rowling put so much emphasis on the upcoming deaths, only to kill minor characters that were expendable (until book six anyway, where one of the biggest characters met his/her fate).

At least the Johnathan Kent death meant something not only to Clark, but to us, the viewers as well. So yeah, while I would have been able to have lived with someone like Chloe dying, I'm glad that the character they killed held more weight then her. While Johnathans death makes me sad, it makes me glad to know that I care enough about the characters to worry about them in the first place. There was a little lap of logic Clark overlooked where he could have prevented Lana's death WITHOUT making her mad at him, but I'll let it slide seeing as how all WB shows rely on their love triangles to a certain extent!

I guess there's only one more thing to say: Johnathan Kent, you've raised a wonderful son, and you will be missed. Truly.

Currently Listening To: Nobuo Uematsu - Aerith's Theme ("Final Fantasy VII" Soundtrack)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home